Sunday, July 10, 2011

Marriages are made in heaven? !


Shyam was very excited about his marriage being fixed. With all joy, happiness and expectations he lay on his bed dreaming about his to be wife and their life after marriage… And, eventually dozed off.

In that blissful moment, God appeared in his dream. Shyam got so delighted seeing God. God spoke to him : “ You must be knowing that marriages are made in Heaven, I am here to greet you a very happy married life. In accordance to the same, I can grant you any boon you ask for. Ask me whatever you feel, can help you lead a very happy married life.”


Shyam was all the more thrilled about this offer and decided that he had to make the best use of it. So, he started to list.


Shyam: Well, First and foremost I want my wife to love me to the core as now & forever till death.
God: Great! Is that the only thing you want?
Shyam: Not only that. I have a big list. She has to appreciate me and support me always and help me achieve all the success in my career and my family. She should know me from head to toe and empathize with me when any decision has to be taken. She should take care of me like a child, listen to my problems and be a good companion to nurture my interests and talents, be health conscious, take care of me & my family members and be loyal and honest with me. Above all she should tolerate any of my mistakes or when I am in mood out/sad, with all the patience, she should guide me in the right path with an ever- smiling face. She should know whatever I like and always keep me happy with sweet surprises and lots of happy moments.
God: I am happy that you have understood the essence of marriage. I shall grant you this boon provided you answer right for my two questions:
Question1: Do you possess all the above qualities you asked your wife to have?
Shyam: Well… not all. But, yes I possess at least half of it.
God: All right !!
Question2: If you have to entirely cultivate all these qualities completely in you, how long do you think it will take for you?
Shyam: I am sure that if my wife is given all these qualities, it will not be difficult for me to reciprocate.
God: Shyam, it will not be fair and right on my part to give you someone who is full of love when you are at times hostile, or a person so caring and understanding when you are at times selfish or not ready to empathize.


Marriage is a lifelong education. It is where you and your partner make adjustments and aim not merely to please each other but to be better human beings. A perfect relationship cannot happen overnight. It is a lifelong pursuit.
I cannot give you a perfect partner because you are not. However, I will give you a partner who can grow along with you all the qualities you are looking for and become the PERFECT SPOUSE you wish for.

The secret of a happy married life is that, it has to be a team work by both of you to fulfil each of your expectations mutually. As it is rightly said:” Be to the other person as you would wish them to be to you”. So is the philosophy of marriage too.

If both of you understand this and work towards grooming yourselves, the PERFECT relationship will be achieved in a very short period of time. But if one of you is not ready to bend, it has to be the responsibility of the other person to keep showering their love so that the reciprocation happens some time. However, if both are not ready to bend, it is not the marriage that gets broken but the relationship. That is where the essence of marriage is lost.

Shyam: I understand that I have been so selfish in expecting only the other person to bend when I had not even considered grooming myself. This is indeed a wonderful insight that helps me understand that I have the sole responsibility to create the happiness which in turn will be reciprocated by my spouse and other people around me.
God: Absolutely. It is true that marriages are made in Heaven. But, Perfect relationships are not made in Heaven. They are created on earth over a period of time.

6 comments:

Vani said...

Excellent !!! Every married couple/to be married couple has to read this to understand what marriage is really. Happiness is within us. We should give it to get it back... Not only to spouse but to all relations..Love this article.. Thanks for writing this.

Senthil Anand said...

Beautiful article...

Thanks for this. It came to me at the right time. :-)

Beryl said...

I loved this article...awesome!!!
Wedded life will be filled with everlasting love, joy and happiness when the truth expressed in this article is taken to heart by each married couple.

Thank you so much for this wonderful thought.

VJ said...

Well composed!

Certainly couples should understand this for happy life.

velmurugan kumar said...

Yet again a nice article! It is a better idea that one needs to expect his/her spouse to be at par rather expecting a 'extremely special' one. Love is a magical divine blessing given to humans. Love is programmed within us; We just need to let the program run. In the context of family, Love gives the courage to trust, lead the family, forgive, adjust and modify ourselves, etc. Someone becomes wonderful when he loves something unbiased by the man-made political borders, man-made divisions of living and non-living, big and small(creatures, things, creation,etc). Thanks for the insight

Arti said...

Very well said..!! I feel all married couples and to be married individuals need to understand the real essence of marriage before simply expecting from the other..